Autor Wątek: Jak nauczyć się dżentu?  (Przeczytany 19977 razy)

Offline Fred the Shred

• Prawie użytkownik
Odp: Jak nauczyć się dżentu?
« 13 Mar, 2012, 15:44:09 »
Lepszy niż walenie konia z Fredem i Olą :P

And worse than not checking the tutorials on the subject online, which even include my own webcasts on tuesdays, that happen to be free. I've taught many tricks and cleared many doubts since I started those, as I believe it is positive for an artist to relate to the community and help people - it's not all about money or having people licking my ass, thank you.

As for Ola, apart from free patches for every main modeller unit and the Kemper, recording tutorial, an authentic encyclopaedia of recording tips and tricks on his site, etc., which are also free, nothing special... oh, wait.

As for playing djent (or any prog, for that matter), it's the same as quite literally everything: metronome, starting slow, and playing with subdivisions. Most djent is actually 4/4, only using odd subdivisons inside the same bar. For example, 4/4 is the same as 8/8 (doh!), so you can create an odd time feel by splitting a couple bars in 11/8 and 5/8 in alternate fashion, or spread that across more beats. Technically, you're still in 4/4, but you removed the linear feel from it as you are accenting odd notes within the bars. Start slow, and learn to feel the odd beats. When going above the "8", like the 11/8 thing, understand that you DON'T count to 11, but go 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 instead. If you take your time and be patient, then you're fine.

As for the right hand, mute further away from the bridge than on traditional metal types to have a more percussive tone, and take advantage of emphasising the upstrokes (which will happen often due to the way you're accenting notes).